Saturday, October 10, 2015

Christensen- Unlearning the Myth's That Bind Us

Argument:

I believe that Christensen main argument in this piece is he is trying to bring light to a greater audience about the who are role models are as people, who we idolize, and how we portray our self image into the world in which we live. I feel like the most interesting piece that Christensen offers to this piece is the part about the perfect Disney princesses, which has causes much controversy over the past few years. These Disney movies portray the protagonist princess as 'the stereotypical' idea for beauty, which is a thin white female with long beautiful hair. These princesses typically meet a handsome prince and live "happily every after". However, as Christensen argues, is this sending the wrong message to young children watching this? Are we possibly making young children innocently accustomed to these stereotypes? A really powerful quote that struck me when talking about Christensen's' argument is "I don't want students believing that change can be bought at the mall"pg133. The power behind this quote shows how we want to look like the models in magazines, and we want to act like our idols. That is part of the reason why the United States is such a popular country for getting genetically modified!! However, these people that we idolize... do they really look like this? Are they really as perfect as we portray them too be?




The power behind this article was very deep. My question is will there ever be a "Black Cinderella"? Can we as society change our moral values and focus more on living life for ourselves than living life to look like our idols? Or will we always fall under the idea of SCWAAMP, and idolize the people that society idols?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your argument, I wonder as well will there ever be a black Cinderella, I really like the video as well! it ties in a lot with what you had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Austin
    I liked the video you provided and I also like how you related the article to SCWAAMP; I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the picture you included... I feel like it's an accurate representation of the Disney Princesses... every little girl i talk to seem to like the white characters the best. I wonder why

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your video was really powerful and I really liked all of the points you made. I'm going to use your blog as part of mine. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The video about body image is great and is so true. We have to change how we look so others like us and we like our self. Our outside image is so importuned and we forget about how people look on the inside. One of the biggest businesses in American is cosmetic doctors.

    ReplyDelete